The latest Japanese game sales have hit, and once again, the PS3 is the top home gaming console. Surprisingly, with no new releases, the PS3 hardware dropped only 5,000 units. This is likely due to Silver Week being last week, which is a new 3 day holiday in Japan started this year. The PS3 managed to shift 50,000 units, while the Wii and XBox 360 brought up the vanguard at 13,000 and 3,700 respectively. At this point, it looks like the PS3 may end up outselling the Wii in Japan for 2009. October will be the console's true test, where there will be no major releases planned after Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce in the first week, until the very end of the month with Tekken 6.
The top selling hardware for this week in Japan was again owned by Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver. Top selling PS3 releases include Tales of Vesperia, which manager 45,000 units it's second week. Surprisingly, Call of Duty 4 charted on the PS3 as well, selling 11,000 copies. Perhaps a response to the release of Halo 3: ODST?
01. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Pokemon) - 166,000 / 2,068,000
02. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 90,000 / 1,156,000
03. [PS3] Tales of Vesperia (Bandai Namco Games) - 45,000 / 272,000
04. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 4 (Konami) - 43,000 / 151,000
05. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 34,000 / 1,194,000
06. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Square Enix) - 34,000 / 3,925,000
07.  Halo 3: ODST (Microsoft) - 33,000 / NEW
08. [NDS] SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu - Goddess of Destiny (Square Enix) - 29,000 / 30,000
09. [PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 4 (Konami) - 14,000 / 66,000
10. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (BEST) (Square Enix) - 11,000 / 41,000